Monday, May 22, 2017

THE SHOW MUST GO ON

Thomas Hardy wrote, "Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change" I love this statement and find it to be ever true. The word change is without thought given, it is easily defined to make or become different. I was out of town with some very dear girlfriends this weekend and our conversation the week prior kept going back to the impending bad weather we were to expect for our outdoors concert.We came prepared for whatever change may happen and I believe that is the mentality we should possess.  Every time this topic was brought up unanimously without any doubt, we all attested we would have a ball no matter what the weather did. Looking back now on Monday we were correct. Weather couldn't have been worse honestly. No more than five minutes in the doors and we were eating they threw us out warning of the weather approaching. Imagine if you will, four ladies who some had on new shoes, nice hats, dresses, these ladies came with their game on and were dressed to the nines from their hair to makeup the works. I myself was melting in the heat so I was in sweat proof clothing and came prepared to wilt but not for the lightening and thunderstorms that barreled their way in on our day of fun. To say we were surprised about this weather is a stretch we were prepared for some showers perhaps, we were prepared...or so we thought we brought our goulashes and rain coats we truly found ourselves quite impressed with our plans being executed to dash about in the raindrops. 


We wiped the tears from our eyes from laughter from it all,  now sitting in the hotel bar; enjoying a complementary cocktail from our new friend at check in because of our woes.  We drove four hours with a broken speedometer to get here mind you. Not one time did any of us complain. Not once. Awaiting the verdict on whether the show would go on or not we giggled and passed our time as if we had gone back in  time as young girls although we are all middle aged. Our presence was known by all and we were having the time of our lives regardless. This is us often times pursuing our Dreams and Goals in our lives. Life just simply happens. Mishaps happen. Plans fall through or nosedive, goals often seem to have been too lofty  rather then obtainable. Life is full of change. And not all change feels good or IS good....or is it? This right here is my Monday Mulling Mantra, going back to the quote by Hardy we are always surprised by change. I certainly was this day. You see, before these thunderstorms it was unbearably hot and humid, I have to be medicated because of my perspiration so this is such a party foul to dampen most spirits and if ever there was a time to take it now is it;  but my friends and I agreed I wouldn't take it as crazy as it sounds because I become extremely cotton mouthed and needed to assess where the water would be inside etc as to not become sick. We got word that the concert was back on and we giggled and squealed and made our way through the bag and body search again, sliding around in the now mud covered ground and donning our baseball caps in leu of our fashionable hats and we danced the night away singing to the top of our Lungs.

To say we were surprised by the change as Hardy wrote about is an understatement beyond belief, it was as if we ordered the cool temperatures and indescribable sunset it was in fact so much better  by having the thunderstorms and this surprising change. The same can be said of us in our lives pursuing our Dreams and desired Goals. Had the show not gone on, who knows what the four of ladies would have changed and done but the fact remains it would have been memorable and perhaps that saying is true about dancing in the rain. If our Dreams and Goals came so easily how savoring would that truly be? I believe I cursed myself eons ago sipping on Barnie's coffee in the mall with my still best friend, we were giggling over my outlook on life and I told her thirty years ago or so I didn't want to be this or that person as we would people watch. Heavens No, and when I would pick out couples or families I without any wavering attested I didn't want to find myself as such; they just seemed... boring. All these years later I am starting to write a book because we laugh that you just can not make this stuff up. You see, if I didn't have all of these changes and yes even the bad and not so enjoyable changes and hardships, I would not be living my Dream. In essence, I would be boring and for me that just is not an option. Nor should it be for you to settle or be reduced by Life and the changes that come your way. Set your compass locked on that destination but loose enough to be re routed to where you are truly destined to reside. Be open to change and stay surprised even by the mishaps for they make your life interesting and without these variables your life would be simply boring, and no body has ever said they desired that. 

The Wonderment of Life is to Dream and to Dream the Impossible Dreams and as riding a surfboard, ride the waves of change in your life all the way to the shore all the while being surprised; alas,  it is truly a gift moment by moment waiting to be experienced. All of it, the good, the bad and the ugly. Furthermore, it is anything but boring. I leave with you one of our performers this past weekend, we enjoyed three powerhouse entertainers and we loved them all and thankful for an unforgettable day that I would not change a thing. You see, what we think is bad often times turns out to propel you for the best, life is funny that way. Enjoy the ride of change and may you always find yourself in Good Company full of good vibes, good times and the dang good Memories. Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. ― Leonard Cohen 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlGtyzIRm8

No comments:

Post a Comment