Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS



I read this today on my Timehop app, it is from two years ago tweeted ,"Never confuse what you do for a living with your reason for living." My wise Mother raised me on Volunteering. It was her calling. To be there for the people that society might not have a place for was her gig. As a young child; I cannot remember life without this in our home. I remember so many things but one example was when I was in Middle School. My Mother worked hand in hand with The Ladies Salvation Army Home. It was something watching her that made her so very beautiful to me at that awkward age. This organization would call my Mother when women and their children would arrive with a list of items they might need. I mean the barest of necessities indeed sometimes. What a powerful example of her own lifestyle that was for me when I was becoming the greedy, want syndrome child; expecting the entitlement of the world to be handed to me.  Alas, My Wise Mother could see it starting in me, I am quite convinced. She is far too wise to ever divulge her secrets even to me at this age I find her, but luckily I know her pretty well, better than the words spoken.  She would take me with her to buy for these people, strangers. But she made it personal, like they were close friends or even family. She would recruit me with shopping for  the children, we were given ages and sizes and what was needed. I STILL to this day, remember shopping for a girl right about my age, and the realization of her lifestyle I was forever changed. I said, Mom, what about when they want to have spend the night company? What about their bedrooms? What powerful lessons that Wise Woman was teaching me without saying a word.... She would always sternly but lovingly tell me, never allow your Volunteering to take the place of your obligations. Whether your job, your family, etc. Make sure you have done all you were to do, then; and only then, do this. Otherwise it has all been in vain. 

I was raised that if I was down, or sad; maybe upset about something that happened in my day, my Mother would love on me with a hug or kiss and tell me to "give, give, give." She would whisper in my ear, "get up, up, up" and go "give, give, give." Anyone that knows my Mother, knows she has the voice of an Angel. Nothing like mine I must say. However, she could motivate the most stubborn (namely myself) with her words so sweet as if honey were dropping off her lips. I would be so entranced by her unction that I wouldn't even sometimes realize I was doing something for someone else til it was over! She was and Still is right. The moment you take the attention of your own woe's or negative situation, and place your attention on someone else and give to them out of your own need, Wahbam! You are instantly lifted. Your day has turned around and somehow the, it all will work out rises from what was defeat or hopelessness.  What a Wonderment of Life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBKaOkmQhw


You might be wondering why I posted the picture at the top of this page. Funny thing, I really do not know, it is just a part of me. I took this picture when I was volunteering at a local Nursing Home and when I passed this certain hallway and saw these two at the end of it, I was stopped dead in my tracks. I have never been able to erase that moment within me.  It has gone with me everywhere over the years, I would say I have had this 20 plus years. It was pinned up in my cube at work for years, it has been in various spots - just there. It is my destiny. No idea what their story is, but it burns inside of me. Do they both live there or just one visiting? What are they talking about? What IS their story??? Here they find themselves in their later years of life, what do you think they are savoring the most? Most importantly for me, what do I want to be savoring? What stories are being retold of the Passion I led MY life? There's my blueprint for now; is what I have thought. I have had and continue to have, the opportunity for all these years, since this picture,  to go after life with unapologetic Lucille Ball wit, yet vigilance to pursue and capture where my heart leads. Not all have been success stories mind you.  However, I am trying  to live out Mother Theresa's wisdom, "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." Zig Zigler posted on Facebook yesterday, "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C.S. Lewis. So here I go, today, NOW setting new goals and allowing new dreams to flood in to overtake my soul. I hope this, today, does the same for you and invigorates you and your Passion of and for Life.

I hope this picture stirs up your heart and you allow yourself to give, to give of yourself, in the most trying of moments to those who cross your path. They are everywhere. I bet you will hear ole Lynda whispering in your ear if you listen closely, "give, give, give." You might be surprised how the direct effects of honoring another over yourself just might catapult you to your own destiny. Isn't life Intoxicating? It just amazes me on every turn and makes me giggle. I invite you to Bask and Illuminate in The Wonderment of Life.







No comments:

Post a Comment